Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Lindy’s Homecoming Day 4 Years Ago

(Her homecoming was yesterday, December 19th, but Blogger wouldn’t let me post last night.)

Four years ago we finally brought our baby girl home after 143 days in the NICU.  43 days after her brother had come home and just in time for Christmas.  We were SO excited that she got discharged for Christmas. 

Her 143 days were a pretty rough 143 days.  She had 8 surgeries during her time in the NICU.   It seemed like every time we turned around she was headed to the OR!  By the grace of God, she made it through each one and she grew and got healthy enough to go home.

I remember the day she came home very well.  Bob and Suzette came up to our house and Suzette babysat Will for us while Bob drove me to Durham to meet Drew who was already there.  After a few last minute instructions, they let us have her!  We had to drive two hours home with her and her oxygen and oxygen meter.  To say we were nervous was an understatement! 

Lindy has come a long ways in her four years at home.  When we brought her home we honestly had no clue what her quality of life would be.  She had Grade III and IV brain bleeds and we had no clue if she would ever sit up or crawl or walk or run.  Throw in the severe vision and hearing loss and we didn’t have a clue what to expect.  We have been so pleasantly surprised at how well Lindy has done in life.  Yes, she had struggles with vision and hearing and cerebral palsy, but sometimes you’d never know it!  Sometimes we forget she is ‘different.’  The girl has one heck of a work ethic and determination that has brought her far in life. 

We love our girl more than words can really say.  Life would be boring without her.  (There would definitely be a lot less throw up if she wasn’t around.  ha ha!) 

We love you so much Lindy!


Since Will and Lindy will always share the same birthday, we celebrate their individual homecoming days as well.  For now we pick a fun activity but when they get older they will get to pick something to do.

Lindy had school this morning but when I picked her up we headed to Chick-fil-A for lunch and to play on the playground.  It was a bad idea.  Her class had their Christmas party so she had apparently eaten a lot of (green) food already.  She had hardly eaten much when she threw it all back up.  Hence how I know she ate green food. ha!  After that she was completely fine.  The kids loved playing in the playground, even if I had to crawl halfway up in the thing to help Lindy out. 

We went home for a nap and then we headed out this evening to the Denton Farm Park to the Country Christmas Train in Denton NC.   The kids took their first ever train ride and had a blast.  We took about a 20 minute ride that included a little movie about the Christmas story and then lights along the way.  They had lots of little houses you could go in and look around.  They had an old Methodist Church where you could go in and hear stories and singing.  You could also see Santa but we didn’t wait in line for that since we’ve seen him a few times already.  We roasted marshmallows and had our first port-o-potty trips.  Actually we toured most of the bathrooms in the Denton Farm Park.  It was a fun family night and something new and exciting to do!

At Chick-fil-A.  After the throw up incident.IMG_0266IMG_0267IMG_0269IMG_0275Heading down candy cane lane to the train.DSC_5920We rode in the caboose!DSC_5929DSC_5930DSC_5931DSC_5933DSC_5934Lindy was ‘taking pictures’ of me!DSC_5936DSC_5937DSC_5942DSC_5944


1 comment:

Joe said...

We haven't gotten to know Lindy that well - but in the short amount of time we spent with her this fall, I could tell she is a lot of fun and full of life!! She sure has come a long way!