Friday, October 15, 2010

Walking to Cure Diabetes

Next weekend, October 23rd, our family will be walking in the JDRF's Walk to Cure Diabetes. 

Why would I be walking for a cure for juvenile diabetes?  Because someone I love dearly, my niece, Hayley, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in September 2009 when she was only 6 years old.  Click here to read my post when she was diagnosed last year.

My beautiful niece Hayley.  She broke her arm in September 2010.  September is not a good month for Hayley!  hayley 

When I got pregnant with triplets, I knew there was a large chance I would have my babies prematurely.  I obviously hoped they’d stay in a little longer than they did, but I knew the possibility existed.  When my sister’s perfectly happy and healthy six year old was diagnosed, their lives were turned upside down.  Never in their wildest dreams did they see this coming. 

Hayley has taken her diagnosis like a trooper.  Those first couple months were so hard for my sister’s family as they had to change so many aspects of their lives.  They all had so much to learn about diabetes.  In late October 2009 she got her insulin pump and this  made their lives so much easier. 

Hayley does an amazing job with her disease.  She tests her own blood, programs her own pump, knows when her blood sugar is too high or too low.  My sister and brother-in-law have to figure out the carbs on every snack or meal she eats.   Everything she eats she has to tell her parents.  But she does it, and she never complains. 

With all the new technology and research going on in the medical community, I honestly believe their will be a cure for Type 1 diabetes in Hayley’s lifetime.  That’s why I’m walking to cure diabetes.  To try and help my niece, someone I love so very much, have a ‘normal’ life one day. 

If anyone wants to help me, click on my donation page and help me out.  No donation is too small.  Every dollar helps in finding the cure for diabetes. 

No comments: