Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Eye Surgery Number THREE!

Lindy had her third eye surgery early this morning at 7am. They checked her right eye on Friday and said there was still some evidence of the ROP plus disease. They were hoping it would resolve itself over the weekend. Unfortunately when they checked her again on Monday morning they found that it did not resolve itself . So, back to the OR she went. We got there at 6:15am this morning and we left for the OR around 6:30am. They actually took her for surgery around 7:20am and she was back in the NICU around 8:30am. I REALLY hope this is her last eye surgery. She had to be reintubated for the surgery. But the neonatologist is all set on getting her back off the vent as soon as possible. Hopefully tomorrow. She also got a different bed for surgery. She moved out of the isolette and into a radiant warmer. It's so cool because she is out of the isolette! We are hoping that they don't put her back in the isolette because we love being able to see her and touch her so easily.

Yesterday was Will's first day in the intermediate nursery. It was different. I liked having them next to each other because it sure was convenient. I felt like I ran back and forth between them all day. Today was a little better I guess. I was still going back and forth but I felt more settled.

Lindy got her first bottle yesterday! She sucked like crazy at first, thinking it was a paci, and then she realized something was coming out of it. Then she spit it back out at me like it tasted like poop. So cute! ha ha. 8 mL were gone from the bottle but between her spitting it back out at me and the drooling, there is no telling how much she actually got!

Because of some random belly issues she had on Friday they stopped her feeds over the weekend. Instead of gaining weight, she lost about 150 grams over the weekend. She was tentatively scheduled to have her shunt surgery on Friday. She has to be over 2000 grams. With her losing some weight we think that the surgery will be postponed until next week. We are just going to wait and see.

And one final bit of exciting news, we have a possible date for Will coming HOME! Babies that are ready to come home have to go seven days without any bradycardia (dropping their heart rates) or apnec episodes. They will start Will's seven day countdown on Friday. If he could go the whole seven days then there is a chance he could come home on November 3rd. This would be the earliest date. He still drops his heart rate a little bit when he is eating because he is still learning the whole suck, swallow, and breathe thing. If he should happen to brady during the countdown, they have to start over again. Everyone keep their fingers crossed!

2 comments:

Jasper said...

Go Will go! And Lindy, hang in there!

Melanie said...

Jamie,
I keep up with your blog everyday. I get upset when you don't post for a couple of days. I know that is probably a good sign, but I love hearing about your precious little babies. My husband keeps up with them too. I am excited to hear about Will possibly getting to come home. I am keeping my fingers crossed and praying that he will do well with his feeds, so he can come home. I am sure Lindy will follow soon. She seems to be improving and doing well. I hope that you will keep up your blog, once you get them home. I know it will be hard because you will be very busy, but maybe you can do a once a month update or something. I am continuing to keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.
Melanie