Sunday, December 6, 2015

Thanksgiving in MO

Someone planted an idea, early in the year, that the kids and I go to Missouri for Thanksgiving.  My parents go to my sister’s house every year and someone suggested we go with them.  The idea was intriguing to me so I kept it in the back of my mind.  It had been close to 3 years since we had been back there.  I used to go 1-2 times a year when my grandparents were alive and after they passed away, we don’t get back much.  Sometime later in the year, someone told Will he should come to MO for Thanksgiving and he didn’t forget it.  He mentioned it time and again and he really wanted to go.  Thanksgiving drew closer and closer and I knew Drew would be working (he can’t take any time off with his new job yet) so I thought, why not.  Lets go to MO! 

I took the whole week off which was nice.  The kids went to school on Monday and I picked them up at 12:30pm.  We headed straight out to my parents’ house where we picked them up and we got on the road.  Somewhere around 11pm we stopped in Mt. Vernon, Illinois for the night.  Up and out the door by 8am Tuesday morning, we arrived in Kansas City around 3pm.  Just in time to meet Hayley and Rylee as they got off the bus.  I let Lindy and Will skip school on Tuesday.   Tuesday night we went out to eat.  The kids were so excited to be at Aunt Amy’s house and to meet their new puppy, Bella.  They loved playing with their toys and the dogs. 

Wednesday my mom, sister and I went out for some pre-Thanksgiving day sales.  We got back and my aunt, uncle, cousin and her daughter were there.  We talked before heading out to dinner.

Thursday my sister hosted Thanksgiving for 30 people.  It was a full house!  My mom’s sister, my Aunt Sue, and 4 of her 5 kids were there.  A cousin on my dad’s side was also there.  A couple family members of Lee’s also came.   It was fun to see all my cousins!  The kids met new cousins and I saw new kids I had not met.  We took the chance to get some pictures of the first cousins and the second cousins.  It was fun to see everyone.  Will was excited to see some boys to play with since most places he goes there are girls!

Friday we headed out shopping but had a delayed start because of some freezing rain.   We headed out around 11am and got back around 6pm.  My dad and Lee held the fort down at home with the kids. 

Saturday morning we got up early, packed up and headed out to Maryville, about 1.5 hours from Kansas City.  This is the town my parents are from and the home of Northwest Missouri State University.  They were in the second round of the Division II National Football playoffs.  Hayley watched the little kids at the my uncle’s house, which was my grandparents’ house, and is directly across the street from the football field,  while the rest of us went to the game.  It was cold!  We had layers and ski pants on to keep warm.  It was a complete blow out, in favor of the Bearcats, so we headed out at the end of the 3rd quarter.   We packed the car and the NC folks headed out on the long road home.  We made it to Paducah, Kentucky around midnight and stopped for the night.  We were up and out around 7am.  I dropped Mom and Dad off and the kids and I pulled in a little after 7pm.  It was a long day of travel, in the rain, but we made it!  The kids were great in the car.  Car travel is so different now with DVD players, iPads, DS’s.   They were hardly bored. 

We had a great time out there and we appreciated my sister’s hospitality.  It was great to see so much family.  We’ll have to do it again!

Some pictures from our trip:
Missouri or Bust!
IMG_9041
Driving by the arch Tuesday morningIMG_9044
Tanner – Amy’s 13 year old doggie.  He’s a grumpy old man but still a sweet pup.
IMG_9052
Lindy was a bit obsessed with the 5 lb Bella.  Once she figured out she could pick her up, she did it all day long.  Bella was a good sport!DSC_5970DSC_5971
The 2nd cousinsDSC_5972DSC_5976
1st cousins with some spouses. DSC_5979
Lindy loved Uncle Jerry!DSC_5981
My mom and her sister, my Aunt Sue.  DSC_5982
Us with our cousin on my dad’s side, Jim.DSC_5987
Lindy also loved my cousin Chris.  DSC_5989
Lindy was into holding things – babies, dogs, whatever she could get her hands on!  ha!DSC_5991
Three Bearcat fans.DSC_5994
They found another Bearcat fan!
DSC_6001
I took the kids over to the bench in honor of my grandfather that is on campus.  I wish they could have met him.  That W. stands for William. 
DSC_6004
Standing in front of my grandparents’, now my uncle’s, house.DSC_6006
With my Aunt Sue and my cousin, Sandy.  She is one of my 1st cousins but I always think of her more like an aunt.IMG_9101
Lindy made a friend of another distant relative, Joanne.  IMG_9116
The kids and me with my dad’s brother, my Uncle Jim.
IMG_9119

Outside a rest stop in TN on the way home.IMG_9122

No comments: