Friday, July 25, 2008

We Survived the Crazy Week

We made it through all 10 appointments this week!

Monday the babies had swallow studies done to see if we could get them off their thickened milk. It was a no go on both babies. Will aspirated thin breast milk and Lindy was actually aspirating nectar consistency breast milk. 3 months ago she did not aspirate nectar consistency. Who knows! We have been giving her something between nectar and honey consistency so we tried that and she was not aspirating that. So we will just continue doing what we have been doing for awhile. We went by the NICU after the swallow study but we really didn't see many nurses. We did see Lindy's primary and the neonatologist that was on call the night the triplets were born.

Monday afternoon we had Lindy's occupational therapist at the house. She is still pleased with Lindy's progress. She reassessed her and she was continually checking off things and saying, yes she does that. She says Lindy does sit unsupported. Lindy starts off well and then ends up almost folding in half. The OT says she just has to build up her endurance.

Tuesday Lindy had both the deaf and hard of hearing teacher and the Governor Morehead vision teacher come to the house. She has continued to do pretty well reacting to our sounds and toys.

Wednesday Lindy and I had a very long day. We started the morning with a neurosurgery appointment to check on her shunt. Her head circumference has gone up to the next percentage but they assume it's just from a growth spurt. They had not seen her since February and she has grown a lot since then. They will check her again in 3 months. We left there and went to the hearing department and got new ear molds made. We left there and went to the ophthalmologist and had her eyes checked. According to him her vision just keeps getting worse. He wants us to continue with the patching of her eye two hours every day. We go back to see him in 2 months. We then went back to the hearing department and picked up her new FM system. They explained how to work it. Those appointments took all morning long. We then ran errands around town. Lindy slept a total of about 25 minutes and was happy as a clam and raring to go. I on the other hand was exhausted!

Thursday we took the babies to their one year appointment with the pediatrician. We expected to get shots, but we couldn't get them. The vaccinations can't be given until they actually turn one year old - which is next week. The doctor did her check up on them, drew blood for a hemoglobin and lead check and put fluoride on their teeth. We will have to go back in two weeks for a quick nurse visit and actually get shots. I wish they would have mentioned this when I made the appointment!

Lindy weighed in at 15 pounds 15.6 ounces and she was 24.5 inches long. Will weighed in at 18 pounds 14.6 ounces and was 27.75 inches long. I thought Will would be bigger than that and I also didn't realize how much of a height difference there is! Looks like Lindy might be taking after her mother.

Besides all of the appointments, Lindy has had a pretty quiet week. She continues to be so happy and smiley! She smiles at Drew and me all day long. It truly does melt your heart! To think that we used to have to work so hard to get a smile and now she won't stop!

The excitement around our house this week has been from Mr. Will. He finally decided to try out crawling on his hands and knees on Tuesday! He still prefers the wounded soldier crawl down on his belly but we are seeing him crawl just a tiny bit. Will has perfected the art of pulling up to his knees. He pulls up on his knees all the time now. On Wednesday Drew walked in the nursery and found Will standing in his bed! So he officially pulled up to his feet! I found him later that day pulled up on his feet at the toy basket. He got his crib lowered that day as well. He's turning into a big boy. He has had a big week!

The excitement continues this weekend. A first birthday party and a very long road trip are to come. Stay tuned!

The sweetest baby girl in the whole wide world! (Don't you love how she hangs her paci out the side of her mouth like a cigar!)

Will in his crawl-through aquarium.

Will's newfound love - pulling up to his knees.

And Mr. Will - pulled up to his feet.

My sweetie pie!
Lindy has really started doing so much better during tummy time! Look at her go!
Working on sitting up. She's starting to get the hang of it!
Will's favorite new position. He pulls up on his knees and then sits back. The physical therapist said this is not a good way for babies to sit. So he chooses to do it ALL the time!
He doesn't need us anymore. He gets his own toys now!

Big stretches from the little girl!


MA said...

Hey! Glad to hear the week went well. I've been thinking about you and all those appointments! The babies look great and sounds like they are making great progress too. Can't wait to see them again! Happy early, are they going to get cake??? :) Mary Allen

elizabeth said...

This is a great blog. I hope you'll consider adding it to the aggregator at Deaf Village ( -- we'd love to have you as part of our community!

(PS-- sorry if this is a repost -- I lose track!)

Milly said...

Well written article.