Friday, July 18, 2008

The Calm Before the Storm

One year ago today (July 18th - I started this post Friday night) I was admitted to the hospital because I was in preterm labor. I went to my weekly appointment that morning, knowing I was having a pretty good amount of contractions, but not really thinking much about it. The ultrasound part went really good - we had been watching Baby C really closely and it had actually looked like he had a little bit more amniotic fluid around him. Then my doctor checked my cervix. It had gone from 29 to 14mm. He told me to get dressed and he'd be back in. I looked at Drew and said, "I'm going to the hospital, I just know it." Dr. Parker came back in said, "So I want you to go the hospital." I said, "So like this afternoon?" I was thinking I could go home and get some of my things. He said, "When you walk out our front door."

I got to the hospital and I was having contractions every 1-2 minutes. They started me on the dreaded magnesium sulfate and I proceeded to have one of the worst nights of my life. I got incredibly sick and spent the whole night throwing up. They were trying to monitor all three babies and they had me laying on my back the whole time. It was so uncomfortable. I hardly remember much of it though because I was so out of it. I know that Drew was awesome that night. He got up every time I got sick and took care of me. I made it through the night and pretty much slept the entire next day. Fortunatly they were able to stop my labor, as I was only 23 weeks and 4 days. It was the beginning of my 2 week hospital bedrest.

Flash forward a year.... We have had a pretty quiet week. But watch out for next week. 10 appointments between the two babies. Yikes!

Monday Lindy and Will had an appointment with the physical therapist. I was brave and I took both the babies, by myself, to the appointment!! Will did great and she said he was doing really good for his adjusted age (a little over 8 months old). She said a couple things were above his adjusted age. Because he is doing so well she felt comfortable not seeing him again! He's been discharged from PT! Lindy was behind her adjusted age, but she didn't feel like it was too terribly far behind. She has really come a long way the last month and a half. We are really working on sitting up and pushing up with her arms at tummy time. She is going back in 2 months for another check.

Monday evening the babies met some new friends, Conner and Tyler. Their parents have just moved to our area and Drew knows them from Divinity School. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture. Conner is 3 and Tyler is 11 months old and a big boy, especially compared to Will and Lindy!

Tuesday I had my favorite professor from grad school at Salem College come pay us a visit! I'm so happy Mrs. Davis got to come out and meet the babies.

Wednesday Lindy had the deaf and hard of hearing teacher come to the house. Even with only one hearing aid, Lindy seemed to be responding well. I'm trying to figure out if something is actually wrong with the hearing aid we have. It was cutting in and out and our audiologist thought she fixed it. Now we can't tell if it is still cutting in and out or we are having battery issues.

Will's first tooth is finally starting to come through. I finally saw a tiny corner of his bottom front left tooth yesterday. He has worked really hard on it! He is really becoming mobile and he is really wearing his mama and daddy out! I'm constantly chasing him back into our little play area in the living room. There are about 4-5 things in the living room he shouldn't touch and he always wants to go straight for them! He's a determined little guy! Normally this wouldn't be so bad but it is annoying when I'm trying to do something with Lindy. Like feed her. I'm having to set her down mid feed to stop Will from doing something he isn't supposed to be doing. I really miss the days when he liked the bouncy seat! I finally had to break out the other pack and play and set it up so that I have someplace to contain him when I need to. Will has started eating whole baby food Puffs. Before this week I'd been breaking them up pretty small but this week I gave them to him whole and he did fine. He still hasn't figured out the fine motor skill of picking it up off the tray and getting it into his mouth though. He tries but he hasn't gotten one in there yet. I still have to put them in there for him. Another pretty big milestone for Will this week is that he is starting to pull up on things. He can get up onto his knees now. It's been fun watching him this week. Of course now we are going to have to really watch him and probably lower his bed down!

That's the news from this week. I hope I'm still alive next week after all our crazy appointments to write a post!

The latest pictures are below.

Now that Lindy rolls, I have found her in some funny places this week too! In fact I couldn't find her one time this week. I lost her! She rolled right up next to a chair and I couldn't see her from where I was. I thought Drew had her and he didn't! I found her, don't worry!

Will pulled up on his knees on the bouncy seat.
This is where the party has been a few times this week. It's come in handy when I'm trying to cook dinner. It's not very big though and the bully Will always steals Lindy's toys and crawls right over her!
This is how Lindy and Will really feel about us. "My Dad Rocks" and "My Mom is Hot." They love us so much! Isn't that right babies?? I think they may even like each other!
A good old Friday in our denim overalls.

Lindy has started smiling when she rips her glasses and hearing aides off. It's her little devilish side! She is so proud of herself when she gets them off.
We went out to dinner tonight and I put the babies in their little crocs. How cute are they?!

Today we got out the Johnny Jumper. They are really bad for preemies. But I had it in the basement and thought I'd just see what the babies did in it. They only got to stay for 5 minutes today. Neither really bounced but both liked turning around in it. It has lights and music which Lindy liked. I started bouncing Will and he did enjoy that. I hope a couple times a week for a few minutes won't be too bad!

1 comment:

Lauree said...

The photo of Will and Lindy smiling at each other is beautiful! We're looking forward to meeting them and seeing you in Missouri!