Monday, August 20, 2007

Hospital Bedrest

After a few weeks of home bedrest, I was admitted to Forsyth Medical Center for hospital bedrest on July 18th. I was 23 weeks and 4 days.

We left home that morning and headed to our regular Wednesday morning doctors' appointment. Unbeknownst to me, I was in preterm labor. My doctor did an ultrasound and everything looked good. Then he checked my cervical length and it had dramatically shortened in one week. He sent me straight to the hospital where they checked me in and found out that I was having contractions every 2-4 minutes apart.

They started medicines to stop my contractions and it was a very long night. I did not get along well with magnesium sulfate. We never became friends! Fortunately the medicine did its job and stopped labor.

Over the next couple weeks I was on a variety of medicines and had to have labor stopped a couple times. I was in the hospital for 12 days and they were not too bad. I had plenty of visitors and actually stayed quite busy. I did not even have time to read the new Harry Potter book!

No comments: