Monday, November 17, 2014

Will’s Special Day

Holy busy weeks.  The last two weeks have been so incredibly crazy and busy but it all came to a screeching halt this weekend.  I’m finally coming up for air and can slow down now.  I look forward to living a real life again!

The only thing of importance happening two weeks ago was Will’s special day on Thursday, November 6.  Seven years ago on that day we busted him out of the NICU after 100 days!!  As I’ve said before, we celebrate these days because it gives them a chance to have a day all to themselves.  They will always share their birthday but this is a day dedicated all to Will.  The kids had a big discussion about which day was better – their birthday or their special day.  They never came to a conclusive answer but they debated about getting presents on their birthday and being able to do something fun on their special day.  I think they enjoy both but I think they do enjoy having their own day.

I had a sign and balloons for Will when he woke up and Drew and I went and had lunch with him and his friend Luke.  We didn’t get to celebrate on his actual day because there was a Wake Forest football game on that Thursday.  We did bring them to the tailgate and they got to share milkshakes (Will’s treat of choice) with Micah and Claire.  Then Suzette took the kids back to our house and got them in bed while we sat out in a very chilly November evening freezing our butts off.     

We did however celebrate Will’s special day on Friday, the 7th.  He kept talking about wanting to go back to the same bounce house in Greensboro and I finally talked him into trying another one.  There are three of them in Greensboro.  After a little convincing and showing him pictures online, he chose to go to Safari Nation.  They picked me up from work on Friday night and we headed out to Greensboro to Steak-n-Shake for dinner and then to Safari Nation.  I thought Friday might be crowded but it was actually great.   The kids had a blast and did like the new place.  I liked that it was a little smaller and it was not crowded and had some new stuff.  We all had a fun evening.

Saturday was another busy day.  My parents drove over early that morning and my mom, Will and I went and walked in our local JDRF walk in honor of my niece Hayley.  The whole family was planning to go but Lindy had been hacking up a lung all week long and she just didn’t need to be out in the cold.  Will didn’t want to walk the whole way but we distracted him and before he knew it he was done!  We got to see his old preschool teacher and he was happy about that.  Hayley was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 6.  We walk for her and I truly believe in her lifetime that Type 1 will have a cure.  We wish we could have walked with her but we were walking for her!  We love her so much!

We came home to warm up and then Will and I headed back to Greensboro for a birthday party.  Both kids were actually invited but we chose to keep Lindy home to keep resting.  We headed to a laser tag birthday party.  I wish I had prepared young Will for this party.  I wish I would have showed him a video of laser tag or explained more about what it was.  I really wish I would have compared it to the Toy Story Mania ride at Disney World.  Instead I talked a little bit about it and told him it would be a little dark in there and then he flipped out.  He was crying and did not want to go.  I ended up going in with him and the birthday boy tried to reassure him it wasn’t scary.  I wore the vest and he helped me shoot the laser gun.  He alternated between laughing when we got someone and telling me he wanted to leave.  We made it through one game but we did not play the second game.  They each got a $5 gift card for arcade games and he did enjoy those.  He played ski ball and air hockey with a buddy.   They got to eat and then they were supposed to play another game of laser tag.  When he felt sick and had to make a quick trip to the bathroom, we skipped the last game too!  I thought it was fun and should have gone back to play those two games.  ha! 

Sunday we went to church for the first time in a month.  Drew took a one month sabbatical from church and it was over November 9th.  Back to church we went.  The kids were a bit confused as to why we played hooky all month and were anxious to see their church friends.  Right after church Drew and I left for a play and my parents watched the kids.  My dad dropped my mom and Lindy off at a birthday party for a girl in her class.  It was at a horse barn and she got to ride a horse – and sweet talked them into two rides – and got to feed the horses.  While they were at the birthday party my dad took Will to a putt putt course and driving range.  He got to hit his first golf balls at a driving range. 

It was a fun and busy weekend and we enjoyed having my parents around.  They don’t stay with us hardly ever since they live just an hour away. 

Sweet Will on his special day!DSC_1651
We had cinnamon rolls for breakfast as a treat!DSC_1653
The JDRF walkers!
We love Hayley!
Walk day selfie!
Will brought Lindy home a balloon dog.DSC_1656
Cute girl in a cute outfit striking a pose!DSC_1658
Celebrating Will’s special day at Safari Nation.IMG_5904IMG_5906
They had a fun mini zipline.
Will at his party on Saturday afternoon.
Happy when not playing laser tag!

Lindy at her birthday party on Sunday.IMG_6005
Lou with her friend Ellie
Will playing golf with Papa.
First time at the driving range!
Golf selfies with Papa!

No comments: