Sunday, August 21, 2011

Fun, Fun Fun with Friends and Nana and Papa

We had a fun week and we were so excited to have Nana and Papa in for a visit.

Tuesday I took Lindy in to pick up her new ear molds for her hearing aides.  For the first time ever, they both work, the first time!!!  We usually have to remake both her ear molds.  The last time we got them we only had to remake one of them.  This time, they both worked!!  Our new audiologist must have the magic touch with  Lindy! 

Wednesday Drew and I got to go to the March for Babies Awards Lunch while Uncle Ed watched the kids for us.  Aunt Jamie, Katie and Kris, and my friend Wendy were all there so it was a fun lunch.  It was also fun because for about the 3rd year we had the TOP family team and Drew and I were the TOP money raisers for the Winston-Salem March for Babies walk!   Thanks to you, all our friends and family, who keeping supporting us and keeping us at the TOP each year!DSC_2110DSC_2118

Nana and Papa rolled into town late that afternoon.  They wanted to get in one more trip before Mom starts school next week.  They also came down to help me with the kids because Drew was going away on a youth group retreat with our church.   It worked out perfectly!

My parents got the kids their first bikes for their birthdays. They have sat in the boxes in the garage because the kids have slack parents.  We just hadn’t gotten around to putting them together yet .  Then I found out my parents were coming down and I thought it was the perfect job for my dad and that they could see the kids’ inaugural rides on their bikes.  Papa had Will’s bike put together in no time. He got Lindy’s put together too but as soon as she got on it we knew it wasn’t going to work.  They originally got her a 10” bike but the pedals were on the front wheel and she couldn’t reach them.  Dumb design.  If you need  a 10” bike for a kid, the kid is obviously really small and probably can’t reach those pedals.  We knew we’d need to return it and get her a different one.  She rode Will’s bike until after dinner when Mom, Lindy and I went and got her another one.  We ended up getting her a 12” bike which is a good fit for her.  When she woke up the next morning Papa had her bike all together too. 

We couldn’t ride long because Mom, the kids, and I were headed to Greensboro to the Nature Science Center to meet up with my friend Wendy and her girls Riley and Berkley and my friend Jamie and her girls Mia and Mollie.  I think we all had a great time but we were all tired at the end!  I was so thankful my mom was with me!  The kids were constantly going in opposite directions and kept having to go potty at totally different times.  I was so glad she was there!  It was much fun seeing my friends and letting our kids all play together. 

Friday we saw Drew off on his youth group trip and then we headed to the mall to do some shopping.  I was able to get some things returned and exchanged.  The kids enjoyed having Nana and Papa to play with while I was shopping.  The kids got to ride on the train and carousel, after Will batted his long lashes and said, “GrandBob took us on the train and carousel at the mall!”  We stayed out for dinner and frozen yogurt and finally headed back home.

Saturday afternoon we drove around Mooresville NC, a place my parents are checking out as a possible retirement location.  It seems like a nice place with all the shopping they want and lots of restaurants.  It’s near a lake so my dad can go fishing.  We’d love to have them about an hour away but I’ll believe it when a moving van pulls into a house in NC.  Until then, who knows where they will end up!  We drove all around and then enjoyed dinner in Davidson, a neat little college town.

My parents left after lunch today and Drew got home around 6pm.   Having the help while he was gone was awesome. 

Lindy LOVES her bike!  She is getting better at pedaling but she needs some reminding.   She wants to ride it all day!  Will learned how to ride his bike all by himself but he doesn’t seem to love it.  He is so scared he is going to fall off or roll back.  Hopefully he’ll become more comfortable because he did a great job pedaling all by himself.

After this weekend being out and about almost all day every day, I can safely say that Lindy is potty trained.  Number 1 and Number 2!  She hasn’t had an accident since August 8th.  She wore big girl pants out everywhere we went this weekend and she successfully told us when she needed to go.  One issue we have is that she tells us when she has to go and then doesn’t go.  It makes me so irritated!  It’s never at a convenient time and then it turns into a waste of time.  But I have to take her because I don’t know if she is going to go or not.  Hopefully the longer she is potty trained she’ll quit doing that.  Being potty trained is obviously cheaper but it’s still so new that it isn’t exactly any easier yet.  I know the more she practices the easier it’ll all get.  The other cool thing is that she has basically night trained herself as well.  She wakes up every night and we take her to the potty and she is dry in the mornings.  She has been doing this for about 2-3 weeks now.  I’m going to use all the pull-ups I have and then I guess we’ll do big girl pants at night too!  She has done well with with each new transition this summer.  I started her on the little potty and when she had that mastered I moved her to the big potty with a potty seat.  Last week we busted out a sticker chart and I transitioned her to the big potty – with no seat.  I knew there wouldn’t be any potty seats at her schools so I needed her going on big potties.  If she went all day she got a new pair of Ni Hao Kai Lan underwear.  She is now going on the big potty all the time!  It’s been a summer-long process but she got it!  I will admit that I’m very nervous to send her to school in big girl pants.  I’m afraid she may have accidents.  I hope she can do this well at school.

That is the news!  Here are some pictures from our fun week.

Papa putting Will’s bike together.DSC_2119Lindy was a big helper.DSC_2124First time on his bike!DSC_2125DSC_2136On her first bike.  It got returned.  DSC_2144Trying out Will’s bike.DSC_2148DSC_2154The next morning she had her very own new bike!DSC_2160DSC_2165Playing at the Nature Science Center in Greensboro.DSC_2169DSC_2172DSC_2177Mollie tried to take off Lindy’s glasses!DSC_2179DSC_2180First group shot attempt! Riley brought a friend Kylie with her.DSC_2183DSC_2186Lou and RileyDSC_2193Brushing the goats.DSC_2194DSC_2203DSC_2206Seeing eye to eye with the sheep.DSC_2214Checking out the river otters.DSC_2220Second group shot attempt!  Pretty good except I cut off Kylie’s head.DSC_2228Lindy, Berkley, Will and Riley.DSC_2232Third – and best – group shot!  Lindy, Berkley, Mia, Mollie, Riley, Will and Kylie.DSC_2242Will checking out with cashier Berkley.DSC_2258Will and Mollie bonding at the train table.DSC_2259DSC_2267Wendy, me, and Jamie.  We all graduated high school together.DSC_2268Riding his bike like a big boy!DSC_2272Doing it all by himself!DSC_2276DSC_2280DSC_2292Riding the train at the mall with Nana.DSC_2299DSC_2305Riding the ‘horseys’ at the mall.DSC_2313DSC_2320Eating dinner in Davidson at the Brick House Tavern.DSC_2328DSC_2333DSC_2344DSC_2347DSC_2362Nana and Papa and Lindy and WillDSC_2371


southern girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
southern girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
southern girl said...

I loved your blog. I read every word and felt like I was there talking to you. It was heart warming and lovely. Thanks for sharing.Liz