Tuesday, July 19, 2016

First Week of Camp

Wow.  I just pulled up the blog to see how long it's been and I was shocked.  I thought it had been maybe two weeks - not a month!!  I have a lot of catching up to do!  We shall see how good the old memory is from the end of June!

I had just taken a week off of work and we had gone to Lake Junaluska for Drew's annual meeting.  We got home on Sunday, June 19th (Father's Day) with plans to resume our daily lives with work and new camps.

With Drew's new job, I needed to find more childcare type camps for a few weeks this summer.  We chose to go with the same program they do for afterschool as we are pretty familiar with the program.  The kids woke up on Monday morning planning to go to their first week of camp.  The theme was A Walk on the Wild Side which meant they would learn about Africa and lots of animals throughout the week.  Right after breakfast Lindy mentioned her stomach hurt.  That's not uncommon for her to say but then she went and threw up.  What? What?   Our plans for Monday were completely foiled now.  I did end up taking Will to camp but I ended up staying home with Lindy.  Will was super nervous when I dropped him off because he was going to a completely new place where he didn't know anyone.  As much as Lindy and Will argue like normal brothers and sisters, I think they take comfort in at least knowing someone wherever they go.   Will ended up having a great day at camp (whew!) and Lindy ended up throwing up occasionally throughout the day.  It wasn't consistent which was weird.  She did throw up a couple times that evening but I thought for sure she would get a good night's sleep and be okay in the morning.  I did have a plan b in case she felt a little off or puny and thought we would probably go with that for Tuesday.

After a full night of sleep, Lindy calls us in her room Tuesday morning at 5am and proceeds to throw up consistently for the next 4 hours.   She shocked me!  Plan C - me staying home again with her went into effect.  Will mentioned his stomach hurt a little and with a sick sister I thought there was a real chance he could get sick so he stayed home from camp, too.  He never ended up throwing up but Lindy did enough for the whole house.  Every ice chip or sip of 7 up came right back up.  I finally pulled out an old home remedy of my grandfather's and gave her some warm jello (just warm water with some jello powder in it).  That finally did the trick.  It was the only thing that finally stayed down.  By Tuesday evening she was good to go and acting like herself.  No one else ended up sick and no one we know was sick so who knows where that came from. 

Wednesday both went to camp and they went on their first field trip.  They went to Kersey Valley to learn about honey bees.  They also go to do gem mining and they went to play at a park.  Friday they went on a big field trip to the NC Zoo in Asheboro.  I took the stroller for Lindy as I knew there was no way she could walk that far in the hot summer heat.  So far she doesn't seem to mind still being pushed.  She said all the kids took turns pushing her and I think she ate it up. 

Saturday we got up and headed to WS in the morning.  We went to a couple book stores to cash in on their free summer reading programs, out for lunch, and to the Reynolda House to see the Ansel Adams exhibit.  We also toured the Reynolda House which was a first for me.  The kids and I toured together and eventually lost Drew.  We got home and my parents arrived.  We had a leak under our sink and my dad fixed my sink which was great.  We ate dinner and visited. 

Sunday Lynn came for church and lunch.  We went to eat lunch after and then we headed to the church to start decorating for vacation bible school. Lynn stayed with the kids which was great so Drew could come help at church.  That evening we went to the visitation of a former church member out in Walnut Cove.  We saw lots of old friends and didn't get home till 9pm. 

I think that sums up the week.  Or at least what I can remember! 

I took one picture that week......  Enjoy it!

No comments: