Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Grandparent Camp in Charlotte

Last week was another week where we had nothing to do with the kids.  But we had willing grandparents so we shipped them down to Charlotte. 

Drew took them down on Tuesday to Lynn’s house.  They got there around lunchtime and Drew headed out after lunch.  After work I met Jamie and we tried on bridesmaid dresses for Anna’s wedding in November.  We also ate dinner and browsed Target.  Wednesday after work I met Drew for dinner at the Village Tavern since we were kid free.  What should have been fairly quick turned into a long dinner when the soccer game went into extra time and penalty kicks!  Thursday I did a little more browsing at some stores and then I headed over to Jamie’s house for girls’ night.  Friday after work we were at home but we went out later to hear our friends’ band.  I used to work with a girl named Katie and she and her husband have a band, Carolina Coalmine.  It was great to finally see them and they were so good!

Enough of what we did on our kid free week – I know everyone wants to know what the kids did.  Let me tell you – they had fun!

Tuesday after Drew left, Mimo and Aunt Anna took them to Carowinds for their first time.  They went after 4pm when it’s a little less crowded and a little cheaper.  From what I hear they had a blast. 

Wednesday is when the switching fun started up.  The kids wanted to stay with the grandparents by themselves and then switch.  So Wednesday morning Lynn met Suzette and handed Lindy off to them.  They made pudding together, shopped at Target and camped out that night on Grandbob’s floor.  They even had a ‘campfire.’   Will was at Mimo’s house and I know he played with the marble race for awhile and then he went with Mimo to the bookstore that she volunteers at.  He got to pick a couple books while he was waiting for Aunt Anna to pick him up.  When she did pick him up she treated him to some frozen yogurt.

Thursday morning they met again and made another switch.  Lindy headed back to Mimo’s and Will headed to GrandBob’s.  They headed back to Dave and Buster’s where GrandBob has taken him before and he had a blast.  I hear he beat a bunch of people in Mario Kart and then he got some balls in a milk jug which was supposedly legitimately hard to do.  They were supposed to work on a lean-to outside but it was raining so they couldn’t.  I think they also camped out on GrandBob’s floor.  Lindy was back at Mimo’s and I’m not sure what they did.  I think there was a lot of Nelly love and Paw Patrol love going on. 

Friday morning Mimo met back up with Suzette and handed Lindy off to join Will at their house.  Then she took a 6 hour nap!  ha!  GrandBob and Suzette, however, took the kids to Discovery Place in downtown Charlotte and from what I hear they had a blast.  The kids have been a couple times but I’ve still never been.  I think they spent all afternoon there.  I think they had their final campout that night as well. 

Saturday afternoon we met GrandBob and Suzette in Mooresville and took our kids back.  And then GBob and Suzette took a 6 hour nap.  Hopefully not on the way home!  We headed to my parents’ house to see my aunt and uncle who were here visiting from Missouri.  It is my mom’s sister.  We got there and ate some lunch and then we headed out on the boat for the first time this summer.  We went for one ride in March with Hayley and Rylee but this is the first summertime ride we’ve taken.  We got to go tubing for the first time too.   Drew and I went first and then we put the kids in with us.  They had a blast!  They kept saying, “Faster, Papa, Faster!”  They loved it.  Next my mom and Aunt Sue rode and I’m not sure they loved it!  Dad really wasn’t going that fast but they got bumped a couple good times when waves from other boats got to them.  We also pulled the boat up to a little area and got out in the water.  Dad was testing all his skills so he knows what he is doing when my sister and family come down.  We headed back to the house after a bit and we all went swimming.  I played my dad, Drew, and uncle in Horse and whipped them all.  Sometimes it’s hard being so good at everything (that line is for you, Bob!).  ha ha!  It was a fun afternoon in the pool.  Lindy became quite comfortable in the water, going under constantly!  She was jumping off the side and going under.  I had her hold one finger because sometimes she doesn’t jump out and I was afraid she would hit her head.  She even went off the diving board!  On Saturday she had goggles on over her eyes and nose and she was loving the water!  Will was still being Mr. Cautious.  We had a yummy dinner and then a game of Farkle before heading to bed.  My aunt and uncle flew out of Charlotte at 6am Sunday morning so we told them goodbye on Sat. night.

Sunday we got up and had a very lazy day.  I was so sleepy (from not sleeping well in the bed with two munchkins) that I even took a short nap.  We finally got ready and went swimming.  It was chilly at first but finally the sun came out and warmed us up.  Lindy was going under the water again, and this time without goggles on.  She finally learned to keep her mouth shut and blow out her nose!  She was having so much fun.  I started from square one with Will.  We worked on blowing bubbles.  Then trying to blow bubbles with his nose.  He finally after much coaxing jumped off the steps, while holding his nose, and went under water.  I made him do it over and over.  He didn’t love it but he was doing it.  I can only hope that once he gets more and more comfortable in the water he will loosen up and try to swim.   We finally got out, ate, showered and headed back home Sunday evening. 

The kids first trip to Carowinds!  IMG_5124IMG_5125IMG_5126
Lindy and her buddy Nelly!
Lindy dressed up as Marshall from Paw Patrol!  (Her new favorite show!)
Will and his magnificent marble race!IMG_5138
Lindy loves helping in the kitchen.  They made pudding together.photo
Camping with GrandBob!  Love the makeshift camp fire!photo 1photo 3

Out on the boat with Nana and Aunt Sue.DSC_0055
The guinea pigs going for the first tubing ride.DSC_0058
Lindy loving on Aunt Sue.DSC_0062
Will watching us tubing.DSC_0070
A small picture but those are big smiles!DSC_0079DSC_0086
A family that tubes together, stays together.  ha!DSC_0088
These daredevils did it.  Not sure they enjoyed it!DSC_0091
Lindy found a new best friend last weekend.  She loved her some Uncle Jerry!
Swimming in some muddy water!DSC_0100DSC_0105DSC_0106
Captain Lindy reporting for duty!DSC_0112
Back to the house for swimming.DSC_0114
Who is under that water? DSC_0115
It’s Will!  Yay Buddy!
Who is under there now?  Lindy!  Our new fish!DSC_0120
Will got out to watch the World Cup and this is how I found him.  Sweet sleeping boy.DSC_0126

A fun week for the kids and fun weekend for everyone.  We were all tired when we got home! 

No comments: