Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father’s Day

Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers in my life.  Most importantly Happy Father’s Day to my dad.  He has always been there for me and I know he always will be.  He likes to push all my buttons but he is a great dad!  Next I have to give a shout out to my baby daddy.  He hates that phrase!  Baby daddy.  But he is an awesome dad.  He is way more fun than I am.  He does fun stuff with them and doesn’t blink an eye to take both of them by himself to do something fun.  He is awesome at playing games with them and reading and teaching them all kinds of new things.  He is the epitome of a hands on dad.  Last I want to say Happy Father’s Day to my father-in-law.  He is the best FIL to beat in every game we play.  I couldn’t ask for a better FIL to keep beating over and over.   I sure do have some great fathers in my life!

But let us back up to the beginning of the week.  The kids went to summer camp at their preschool.  The whole summer is based on Curious George and last week was Curious George Goes Camping.  They had a campground set up and the kids loved it.  They had a tent they thought was cool.  It was every day from 9am-1pm.  It was just a handful of kids from their classes and it was very low key and probably just a lot of playing but they had fun and we had to have someone watch them.  They are going back a couple more times this summer as well. 

Tuesday the kids had their last gymnastics class and everyone but Lindy and Will is glad.  They have had an awesome time with gymnastics but I think we are done.  They would have to move on to different classes and I don’t think Lindy is really able to go on to the next class.  I have no clue what the next class for boys would be anyway.  Tuesday night we ate dinner at the Dairi-O.  (Lindy wanted to know where Mike and Janice were – our normal Dairi-O companions!)  After dinner we headed to closing ceremonies for Will’s little league.  There wasn’t much to it besides them calling their names and being handed a trophy.  We left there and went back to the Dairi-O for ice cream. 

The only other excitement of the week was an appointment Lindy had on Friday afternoon.  We have a local Industries for the Blind in town and we went Friday afternoon for a low vision assessment for Lindy.  I seriously had no clue what the appointment was going to consist of.  It ended up being an eye exam.  The doctore said overall her eyes look amazingly good for what she came through.  Five eye surgeries and all.  He said he saw a slight discrepancy from her prescription but not enough to change it.  Which her normal eye doctor did as well and gave me a new prescription, just in case something happened to her glasses and we needed new ones.  This new doctor said that he saw a slight astigmatism developing as well.  After we were done with him we went across the hall and met with a lady who was showing Lindy CCTV.  We were not familiar with it and didn’t know what it was.  It looks like a flat screen TV and it has an arm on the top that shines a light straight down.  You can put a book or, well, anything under it and it magnifies it up on the screen.  Lindy can control how big or small she wants the words.  She was enjoying it and the lady asked if she liked it.  She said yes and said, “Well, you get to take it home.”  What??!!  I said, “By take it home, what do you mean?  For how long?”  The lady said, “Till she graduates high school!”  What?!?  She said they are funded by a grant that allows visually impaired kids to use these.  All we have to do is send her Lindy’s report cards.  Easy enough!  She asked if the eye doctor wanted to see her back and I said no.  She said, “Then you can just come back in a year for a check-up.  Lindy can get all her eye exams here for free until she graduates high school.”  What?!?  Free eye exams?  We walked out of there shocked!  Especially having no clue what the appointment was about when we walked in the door.   We are in the process of trying to figure out where to put the CCTV.  We are going to have to get a table for it.   It will have to be somewhere she does her homework.  She can use it to write, too, which will be interesting!  But anyway, I don’t want her writing on my kitchen or dining room tables so we need to do some rearranging and figure out where the kids will do homework in kindergarten.   She is very excited about it.  A tiny part of me is sad that she needs it but I have to get over that and be happy for her.  I’m still amazed they just gave it to us!

The biggest event of the week was the massive thunderstorm we had Thursday afternoon around 4pm.  It wasn’t a tornado but it was wild.  We lost power at the house at 4pm.  We never lost it at work.  I left work at 5pm and it took me an hour and fifteen minutes to get home.  It’s normally about 20 minutes.  I stopped and got food down by my office and headed home.  The closer I got to home the crazier it got.  Crazy trees down everywhere and no stop lights.  Our neighborhood is on the corner of two fairly busy roads and one road had a tree completely down across the street, blocking it.  It took power lines with it.  The other street had a tree down on the side of the road, taking power lines with it.  Drew made his way out of the neighborhood for a meeting at church – who never lost power -  and the kids and I headed out in their Jeep to check out all the damage.  Crazy trees down all over the neighborhood and no one had power.  Tons of people were out walking and checking out the damage.  We were out for awhile and got back and I cleaned up the garage.  We finally put the kids to bed and we had a quiet evening.  Thankfully it cooled off that night so we were fine sleeping.  We had hot water so I showered and went to the work the next day.  The kids went to summer camp as well.  I met Drew and the kids at the eye appointment at 2:30pm and then brought the kids back with me because there was still no power.  We left work and invited ourselves over to Katie and Kris’.  Drew had a wedding rehearsal to be at and I didn’t feel like sitting at home with no electricity.  We ate pizza with them and the kids played.  We headed home around 8pm and Drew was sitting on the front porch.  We walked inside and we had power!!!  It was out 28.5 hours.  The only thing we were worried about was the fridges.  We had a small generator out in the garage that we had never used.  We got that up and going Friday morning and we moved food from one fridge to the other and then plugged the fridge in all day.  It worked out good and saved the food.   We had church people that were just getting power back today.  It was a wild storm.  There are still tons of trees down everywhere.  What a mess!

Saturday we had Gold Medal Day at gymnastics.  The final ‘recital'.  They had to report at 10:20am and they performed at 10:40am.  They did pretty well.  Lindy definitely always puts on a performance.  After the 20 minutes were over we went out to the little carnival they had going on outside.  It was kind of lame but kind of impossible to just pass by.  We caved and bought the kids some tickets.  They used their tickets and we headed across the street to lunch.  We dropped Drew off at home and then we headed back out to get Will a haircut and go to Sam’s club.  We got home and the kids got baths and I showered.  We got ready to head to a wedding reception in Charlotte.  Drew had to officiate a wedding at our church at 4pm and as soon as he got home we were in the car headed to Charlotte.  Drew’s cousin, Kelsey, got married last weekend in California and then had a reception in Charlotte last night.  She looked beautiful!  The kids had a blast dancing.  It’s come full circle because 11 years ago at our wedding, it was Kelsey and her sister Abbey on the dance floor having a blast.  Last night it was our kids dancing their hearts out on the dance floor.   The kids crashed on the way home.  Thankfully we had changed them into pjs. 

Today we had church and then we tried a new Japanese restaurant for lunch.  Drew and I enjoyed it but the kids did not.  Neither one ate.  We came home and Drew got to rest on the couch.  I ended up doing some housework while he flipped between the golf tournament, the soccer games, and the NCSU/UNC baseball game.  A good sports day for Father’s Day.

Fun things are happening this coming up week!  Check back next week!

Lindy being silly in Drew’s onion goggles.DSC_2081Getting his first trophy!DSC_2082DSC_2085DSC_2089Just one of the trees down in our neighborhood.DSC_2090One completely blocking the street and taking the power lines.DSC_2093The other side of the neighborhood and another tree on a power line.DSC_2099Looking cute!DSC_2106Gold Medal Day!  DSC_2107DSC_2108They conveniently were right in front of each other.  Made pictures easy!DSC_2111Mr. Jeff to the rescue.  Getting Lindy back on track!DSC_2114DSC_2115Guess who ended up front with Mr. Jeff?DSC_2120DSC_2124Look at those chicken legs?!DSC_2125DSC_2136She gets a little confused when they say ‘Roll’DSC_2138She loves Mr. Jeff.  DSC_2144Love this picture!DSC_2145This is her best move.DSC_2151Getting their gold medals.DSC_2157DSC_2159A final TA-DA!!DSC_2162Gold medals with their buddy Claire!DSC_2167DSC_2170DSC_2173DSC_2177The happy couple – Kelsey and Jordan!DSC_2180Abbey couldn’t be at the wedding so Kelsey had a semi life size picture of her.  She is taller in real life.  We always get our picture taken together though at every holiday get together.  Had to do it again with her cut out!  Too funny!DSC_2182The tiny dancers!  DSC_2191DSC_2192Will had moves we ain’t never seen!DSC_2193DSC_2199DSC_2201Surprising Bob with his father’s day gift.  BBQ from Little Richard’s!DSC_2205Father’s Day with Drew today.  Reading the card Lindy made at school.DSC_2207DSC_2210Will’s card he made at school.DSC_2211DSC_2215DSC_2216These are two kids who LOVE their Daddy!DSC_2220DSC_2223DSC_2224Looking cute for church.  I loved this dress on her!DSC_2230DSC_2236

No comments: