Sunday, July 18, 2010

Plain Milk Tastes Good!

We were back to the daily grind this week with quite a few appointments.

Tuesday we started back with physical therapy.  My mom and Will went with Lindy and me.  It was so nice to have someone there to chase Will while I tried to concentrate on Lindy’s therapy.  We are going to have to cast her again soon for new braces.  Apparently she is growing!  We left PT and we drove to Greensboro for lunch and then dropped my mom off at the airport.  We sure did hate to see her go.  I love my mom so much :) 

Wednesday was another busy day with speech therapy in the morning.  Lawson is spending more time with Lindy these days than Will since he is talking so much.  We did work with Lindy again on being loud.  We used the echo microphone and she did well imitating the way we said things.  Wednesday afternoon Lindy and I headed to pick up her ear molds.  One of them is a good fit and the other one we have a few problems with.  If it’s not in the exact right position we can hear some feedback.  We’ll see how it does in the next couple days.

Wednesday night was a BIG night in our house.  The kids had a swallow study in March and they were both fine on thin liquids – meaning they did not aspirate them.  Ever since March I have been weaning the thickener in their liquid.  Wednesday night, for the first time ever, I opened the gallon of milk, poured it in their cups, and handed it to them.  They drank plain, old, regular milk!!!!!!!  There is a little bit of coughing that occurs when they first start drinking it but I think they are doing well.  I am still thickening their water because it is naturally thinner than milk.  It won’t be thickened too much longer.  It’s so EASY to get them milk!  I’m loving this!  It just makes me so nervous.   They were always silent aspirators so we never knew they were aspirating until they had their swallow studies.  I hope the coughing they are doing is just them trying to get used to it and not them allowing it to go in their airways.  But if they are letting it go in their airway then by coughing they are getting it back out.  I sure hope we don’t end up with aspiration pneumonia from all this.  Keeping our fingers crossed they are okay inside there!

Thursday was another busy day with vision in the morning and hearing in the afternoon.  The kids got to play with stamps in vision therapy which they enjoyed doing.  Lindy did well in hearing therapy too.  We used the echo mic again and Lindy did awesome with her speech babble.  We are trying to get her to imitate us quickly.  It’s harder for Lindy to listen and process what she’s heard than those of us with normal hearing.  To get her to respond quickly is great.  We had her alternating vowels, such as ‘bah buh’ and even went for three, such as ‘bee bee bop.’  She did great with it!  I think she surprised Chris! 

Thursday night we had dinner with some friends and the kids enjoyed running up and down their long hallway and playing with their big red bouncy ball.  They also enjoyed being rolled up in the yoga mat. 

Friday the kids and I went shopping and picked up more stuff for the house.  We’re basically settled in the house but there are still tons of things on my want list! 

Saturday evening we went with a group from our new church, Faith, to Shatley Springs for dinner.  It is a restaurant that we have heard about for years now.  Because of the car seats we had to follow the bus up there.  It was a two hour ride!  But it was good.  It was a family style restaurant where they bring all the food to your tables in bowls and you just pass everything around.  It’s all you can eat.  It was an enjoyable evening getting to know our new church people.  The kids loved all the attention they got.  The bus almost had to spend the night up there because they could not get the doors to close!  They finally got it and we were all able to head home safely!

This morning we had our second Sunday at the new church (we were in Ohio last week).  Will did cry again when I left the nursery but I think it was for a shorter amount of time.  He was holding on to me for dear life and I finally had to hand him over crying.   They said he stopped crying and played pretty quickly.  Robin, the same woman that was there the first Sunday was also there today so I think that helped that he at least recognized her.  One of his new friends, Bec, took him outside to play a little and I’m sure that helped a ton.  After church they had a big pot luck lunch for us as a welcome.  WOW.  What a spread they had there.   They also did the neatest thing for us.  They had a ‘pounding’ for us.  As in an old fashion pounding when someone moves into a new house they collect non-perishable and cleaning items.  We came home with SO much stuff today!  Our new church was very generous to us and we thought it was such a neat welcome. 

This upcoming week will be another adventure for us.  We have a practically free week so we are going to attempt potty training with both the kids.  Wish me luck! 

I shipped my good camera off :(  I sure do miss it.  These are taken with my old camera that just can’t catch some active almost 3 year olds!  But they are better than nothing!

Drinking regular milk for the FIRST time in their nearly three years of existence!DSCN1350 DSCN1351 My parents got the kids medical kits either for their last birthday or Christmas, I’m not sure.  I put them away and found them while unpacking.  The kids LOVE them.  Especially Lindy who doesn’t go anywhere now without a stethoscope and her doctors bag.  DSCF8972 DSCF8978 The kids have been playing 'ring around the rosie’ lately.  Not sure if Lindy likes to play but Will grabs her hands and turns her around.   They do enjoy the falling down part. DSCF8980 DSCF8981 For the first time ever I let them ride in the two-seater cart at Target.  I started pushing and said something about it being a boat.  From then on Will talked about riding in the boat and by the end of our trip he said I was pushing a sailboat!DSCF8992 DSCF8993 Doctor Swimsuit to the rescue.DSCF8996 Playing with a new sprinkler outside.  Thanks Callie, Chris, and Jack!DSCF9002 Lindy won’t go by herself but she likes it if you run her through it or hold her hand and walk through it.DSCF9004 DSCF9006 DSCF9015 Even Drew had some fun with the sprinkler!DSCF9016 Lindy took her car to the car wash.  She kept backing up but couldn’t figure out why she was getting wet!DSCF9012 The kids also ate popsicles for the first time ever.  I made them and they were supposed to be dripless……they weren’t.DSCF9029 DSCF9031 DSCF9037 DSCF9041 DSCF9042 DSCF9062 Lindy weaseled her way onto the bus and into Wayne’s lap and wanted to help drive!DSCF9058 Getting ready to go to ‘daddy’s new church'.’ DSCF9070 DSCF9076 Our Pounding goods.  WOW!DSCF9039

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Your kids are so cute. I know I sound like I broken record, but they are. I love reading your weekly updates, because I know at the end there are pictures! Have a great week!